Tuesday, May 20, 2008

may update

Wood: 120 - 10 foot long 4 x 4's arrived in my driveway a couple of weeks ago fresh from the lumber mill - green and heavy! They are now neatly stacked with spacers between allowing plenty of air circulation for drying. They should be ready for building by the end of June.

Meanwhile, I've trimmed the 34 reclaimed pieces down to 10' and re-marked them at their stacking points. I'll use these to study various patterns while waiting for the rest of the lumber to dry.

Bells: Rikk has begun the bell fabrication and has decided on a 5 bell configuration around a central "donger" that will be made from a found steel something-or-other. Pictures to follow!

Rikk will be flying up from the Bay Area this weekend for a little brain-storming and strategy session with myself and Matt Wilson (Vashon) who will be helping me out on the wood side of the project.

Monday, May 5, 2008

full scale

I did a full scale test on Sunday using some 12' long 4 X 4's that were salvaged from industrial size pallets. I learned a few things:
  • One person can assemble this thing but two people make it really easy
  • The gravity only connections work wonderfully
  • The full project will not fit in my yard . . .
  • 12' long 4 X 4's are too long!
The last image shows the amount of bending in many of the sections - 12' is just too long - fortunately I was able to change my lumber order to 10' pieces - which will be arriving this Thursday.

More full scale experiments this weekend.